Why I Started the Fight CPS Website
These families suffer trauma and depression in their attempts to be together again.
Fight CPS is a family rights website that seeks to assist parents and others who are falsely accused of child abuse and neglect.
Madame Vigee-Lebrun and Her Daughter, Jeanne-Lucie-Louise (1780-1819) 1789
By Elisabeth Louise Vigee-LeBrun - You can buy this at Allposters.com.
This page was made by Linda Jo Martin, author of River Girl.
You can connect with me on Google Plus.
I'm also on Pinterest and Goodreads.
This page was updated in March, 2013.
A reason for activism to help victims of false accusations
Child protective services (CPS) often accuses people falsely, or takes children for trivial reasons.
CPS false allegations are a travesty of justice, one I cannot silently ignore because I've felt the sting of false accusations made by a CPS caseworker, and resolved to try to prevent this injustice from continuing.
I haven't been able to stop it, but I have helped many families to fight the CPS injustice system and get their children back.
Sir Edmund Burke, a British statesman, said, "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."
I believe that if everyone would choose a social issue, this one or another, and devote their lives to it, many wrongs of this world could be made right again. I have devoted myself to the cause of helping to reunite families attacked by CPS false accusations.
If you've been targeted by a Child Protective Services agent, the best thing you can do is get a good lawyer.
Next, a positive step forward is to read my site, FightCPS, and others like it.
Learn as much as you can so you can help defend yourself and help your lawyer plan an effective defense.
Collection of documentary evidence in your favor is crucial.
Why I Help Victims of False Child Abuse Allegations
- Many accusations of abuse or neglect are false. False accusations can come from anonymous callers, doctors, nurses, neighbors, school teachers, or even the social workers themselves. People who are falsely accused and have their children taken are devastated, and need legal information and social support. Fight CPS helps with both those needs.
- A large percentage of the young parents falsely accused of child abuse or neglect are impoverished, and must rely on court appointed attorneys for representation in juvenile court settings. These court appointed attorneys are notorious for doing almost nothing to help their CPS clients. They seem like they're there to guide people through the court process, but don't provide any type of aggressive defense. So my site, Fight CPS, fills in the gap by showing people how to provide their own evidence and legal paperwork.
- When parents are sent to juvenile court they are denied constitutional rights such as the right to a jury trial, the right to a public trial, and the right to be confronted by their accusers. Yet they stand to lose their children, one of the saddest and most heartrending losses known to humankind. This lack of constitutional safeguards leaves child detention hearings open to gross injustices, the like of which few people believe could happen in America - unless they've been through it.
- Federal statistics show that children in foster homes are about ten times more likely to be abused sexually, physically, emotionally, and mentally than children in their natural family homes. They are even more likely to be killed. A recent study concluded that foster children are more likely to have teen pregnancies and to become juvenile delinquents. The study said that children are better off when left with their natural families, even if those families have severe problems.
- Social work should be a process of helping families resolve and recover from problems, not a process of tearing families apart forever and traumatizing children for life. This imbalance in the social work profession has been caused by federal legislation that gives financial incentives in the form of federal funding and social security reimbursements when children are torn from their homes and placed in foster homes.
Children Suffer in Foster Homes
Children Abused in Foster Homes
This links to a website that lists children who died because of the child welfare system.
Foster children are often forced to take multiple psychotropic drugs
Foster and adoptive parents get extra "special needs" money for damaged kids.
Grandparents fighting to save their grandchildren from CPS
...CPS workers often violate Kinship Care rights.
If your adult child is unable to be a parent to his or her child, you may also be deprived of the right to be a grandparent.
Even though there are Kinship Care regulations in place in every state, CPS caseworkers often try to adopt children out to strangers anyway.
This book sheds light on the deprivation of the rights of grandparents.
History and Philosophy of Fight CPS
In 1990 I started writing articles about CPS cases. Numerous parents came to me asking for my help in publicizing the cruelty and injustices they were enduring, including direct lies by social workers in court reports. My articles were published in The Enterprise News, a weekly newspaper in Central California owned by a kind Libertarian, Richard Palmquist, who also owned a Christian radio station. I also made a few public appearances including a call-in talk show on that radio station and a televised talk show in Fresno, California.
Next I got involved in exposing CPS using the FidoNet BBS network from 1991 through 1997. I was not as active in meeting people with open CPS cases at that time because I was busy raising my own children.
The Fight CPS website has been online since October 2000. I started it a month after starting the Child Protection Reform Yahoo Group - which I've since passed on to other owners so that I can spend more time improving Fight CPS.
I started Fight CPS because at the time, there weren't many sites on the internet that informed people about the topic of family rights. And some of the sites that already existed didn't seem to fulfill the needs of the people. For example, one large site had lots of good information, but forbade anyone from mentioning any other sites that might help. I felt this was too controlling - that the flow of information had to be free so that people could learn more from each other.
Therefore one of my main goals with Fight CPS, at the beginning, was to collect links to information, to encourage others to start sites, and to link to their sites, and promote them. To this day Fight CPS allows all family rights sites to be linked on the site.
The front page of Fight CPS is now a WordPress blog. It started out with no blog at all, on Geocities in 2000. It moved to its own domain name in 2002. In 2004 I put a Blogger.Com blog on the front page of the site. In 2007 I changed it to a WordPress blog for better search engine optimization.
The Fight CPS Message Forum
...social support and legal information.
The Fight CPS Message Forum is frequented by helpful advocates. When you register at the forum, there's a short wait until the forum administrator activates your account. The forum is closed to non-registered viewers and is not listed in Google search results, for the privacy of the participants.
NEW... February 4, 2013 - we just started an official FightCPS Facebook Group!
Child Protection/Abduction Services
The Modern Mafia: Federally Financed Perjury, Fraud, Kidnapping, and Child Drugging for Profit
Published June 27, 2012.
Feed From the Fight CPS Website
Exposing CPS, and Fighting For Family Rights
An Inside View
Amazon's Product Description: 'Mary Callahan never planned on writing a book about her experiences as a foster parent. She had only one goal as a parent, to help the children in her care. But as she learned their stories, it became painfully clear that the Child Welfare System had no sincere regard for the welfare of children. Callahan realized the only way to truly help the children was to tell their stories.
'Written from the unique perspective of a foster parent, Memoirs of a Baby Stealer chronicles Callahan's experiences with five foster children, shedding light on the inadequacies of the Child Welfare System in this country. As the author explains, "They are taking kids from places that aren't that bad, putting them in places that aren't that good, and completely ignoring the bond that exists between parent and child."'
Favorite child protection books on Amazon today
What's trending now?
Your comments about fighting CPS are WELCOME
...tell us about it.
Questions about the goals and history of Fight CPS are welcome. Also, if you're going through a CPS case, you're welcome to tell us about it.
Child welfare books on Amazon
...a search for their most popular books labeled 'child welfare'...
Lenses about fighting CPS
...these are made by other people fighting CPS.
You can join Squidoo and make your own lens today!
Make a Lens to Tell Your Story Now
This lens about fighting child protective services injustice...
...was hand-crafted by:
My first published novel!!
There will be more... soon!
For more information see the River Girl website.
The book is a perfect gift for girls aged 8 through 15.
Claire Welch, a young girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area, is forced to move north to an isolated mining cabin in the Klamath River Valley.