A Grande, Ghostly Affair
A Menacing Beginning
Shroud your entryway
Nestled amongst your buffett or strung on a garland!
A Special Use For Your LCD Photo Frame On Halloween
A Monstrously Morphing Portrait
Make the food part of your whole experience
Create the right mood with spooky lights
If you want to go a little out of the ordinary, consider using LED floodlights in colors like red or green or maybe even blue if you're going for a ghostly effect or spooky cemetary. Laser pointers can also be used to great effect to create "vortexes" or other paranormal phenomenons. Lasers and floodlights are particularly chilling when combined with fog.
You can find some more tips on creating spooky lighting for Halloween at this blog from Outdoor Lights Blog.
Create drama when you leave your lights low and illuminate things from the bottom up. Spooky shadows and suspense!
Eery lighting makes all the difference
How To Make A Laser Vortex
From a $10 laser
Use this in a fog machine to make a cylandrical or conical light vortex!
Instructions For the Laser Vortex
A Step-by-Step How To Guide
The video for how to do this moves a little quickly, so I've taken the liberty to write out a numbered list of how to put this thing together. It would look fantastic in a fog machine!
- Tape the bottom of your laser to one end of the adjustable screw driver neck and tape the portable fan to the other end of the neck. The top of the fan and the laser should be facing each other (the bottom of the laser is next to one end of the neck and the bottom of the fan is next to the other end of the neck).
- Remove the fan blade from your portable fan.
- Cut one end of a glue stick at a 45 degree angle and glue a small mirror to this angled end of the glue stick. Push this glue stick on to the fan's motor shaft (where you just removed the fan blades from).
- Form a loop around the laser's power switch with your zip tie and tighten the loop. This will keep the laser button pushed in and the power turned on.
- Adjust the laser beam so it is directed to the center of the mirror and turn the fan on.
- Cut the mirror off the end of the glue stick. Cut a small glue stick so that it has both ends flat and glue the mirror to one end of this new glue stick. Place this stick back on the fan's motor. - (I'm not sure the point of this step, maybe its to show you that you can change the effect of your vortex by using different size mirrors at different angles).
- Again, focus the laser to point at the mirror's center.
Materials Needed To Make The Laser Vortex
Buy them online at Amazon.com
Viper Green Laser Pointer
Spectral Lighting with Hollywood Pizzazz
Cheap Fog Machine
Create rolling fog that stays on the ground and out of your field of vision!
- A fog machine
- Fog Fluid
- A Styrofoam Cooler
- Aluminum Dryer Vent Hose
- A Marker
- A Utility Knife
Everything you need for the perfect ghostly fog
Buy it all online
Make Your Own Holographic Image - Cheap!
This trick is known as the Pepper Ghost Illusion.
Create Holographic Displays of Anything
You don't need to use a television
View this video example of how to perform the Peppers Ghost Illusion with any old object on a black backdrop. No television required, but the principle is still the same.
A Spectacular Peppers Ghost
Visible through your home's window
Make a Flying Crank Ghost
Out of wire hangers, cheese cloth and a wig head
Dr, Kreepy recommends pre-treating your cheese cloth in RIT whitener or any detergent with a whitening agent: this will make it really flouresce under a black light!
Bring Your Flying Crank Ghost To Life!!
The technical part.
The ghost in this example is pretty creepy. Feel free to soften the image for little kids using just white sheets and a less scary face.
Flying Crank Ghost
You can make this for under $50
A Pepper's Ghost Illusion AND A Flying Crank Ghost
Flood Lighting Coordinated to Creepy Music
Extra Effective Halloween Lighting Display
A little technical, but maybe this is your thing!
Insteon Home Lighting Controls
For Halloween Light Shows and more
Safety Considerations For Dry Ice and Creepy Lighting
Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt!
They don't have to be gruesome to be creepy!
A few ready-made Halloween Party Props can save you time
Even the most industrious DIY'er can't do it all!
Save yourself some time and pick up a few Halloween decorations and props online. Even the most forward-thinking entertaining can't do it all from scratch! Enjoy your party and save your sanity when you allow yourself to just purchase a few ready-made Halloween decor items and props: you can shop from my hand-picked selection of Halloween decor online at Centsible.
Did I scare you?
What do you think?
Here's the place where you can have your say. Are you a Halloween fanatic who does up their home to the nines every year? Do you have any suggestions? What did you think of these props? Let me know! Leave a quick note below to sign this page's guestbook for everyone to see.
Contact Laura Schofield
*If you would like to suggest any links or have your own photos and / or stories published, please send me an email. I can be contacted through my personal homepage, laura-schofield.com. If you enjoy the work I've done here, I do offer professional copy writing, photo restoration / manipulation, search engine optimization and web design services. I can again be contacted for any of these services through my website.
Get your whole neighborhood decked out with cool Halloween Props
Share these Halloween decorating ideas
Can't rate this lens or nominate it because you're not yet a member of Squidoo?
If you're not yet a member of Squidoo, you can sign up and get started with the Squidoo community right here. Go on, its addictive (in a good way)!